Closing date 05 June 2017, Duration: 6 months 5 days a week, 7hrs a day
QSAND Partnerships and Communications internship
- Are you passionate about what you do and determined to make a difference in the area of post natural disaster recovery and reconstruction?
- Perhaps you are thinking about what type of career you would like to aim for?
- Or perhaps you are in the midst of a career change or towards the end and are looking to for something different that fits your current situation?
- Do you want to be part of a dynamic team with the opportunity to lead new skills and contribute to an emerging area with exciting opportunities?
The QSAND team at BREEAM is seeking a driven individual to support us in raising the profile of this humanitarian focused free to use sustainability tool in the UK and worldwide.
Developed on behalf of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), QSAND is a free to use community focused resilience and sustainability built environment tool. It promotes informs and guides decisions about, sustainable approaches to relief, recovery and reconstruction before or after natural disasters.
Its aim is to help disaster affected peoples to reconstruct their communities in a resilient and sustainable way that not only results in a sustainability community, shelters and settlement but also enables the community to be more resilient against disasters and where possible be able to recover faster after future events.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a bright enthusiastic individual with a strong interest in international development and sustainability in the built environment to with work with us, and may others (aid agencies, local country organisation and governments, technical sector experts, donor organizations), to build manage and stakeholder relationships, drive fundraising activities, manage and grow uptake of QSAND.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be highly organised, methodical and have good commercial acumen
- Be personable, with a strong interest in the humanitarian and / or construction sectors
- Thrive in a high pressure environment and be passionate about ‘building a better world together’
This is a paid internship position. The remuneration package will be in line with typical internships in the UK. All other costs related to, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the intern or their sponsoring institutions.
Role / how you can expect to spend you day
- Establishing new, managing and strengthening existing stakeholder and partner relationships
- Leading, organizing and support fundraising activities such as:
- running crowd funding campaigns, applying for grants,
- seeking sponsors for QSAND related events and initiatives,
- Supporting the management and operation of QSAND including through
- preparation and delivery of via webinars, seminars, training courses
- promotion, marketing and communications activities including tweeting and creating publications
- Supporting research and development activities where required including providing technical and/or operational support to aid agencies and others in using QSAND
- Promoting QSAND internally with in the BRE Group of companies and to its clients and partners
Qualifications / Experience / Required skills, knowledge and experience
The ideal candidate will thrive in a high pressure environment. Specifically he/she should demonstrate the following:
- Excellent writing skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong people skills
- Self-motivated and ability to work to tight timescales
- Must love providing excellent customer service and going the extra mile
- Driven and confident personality, who can keep a cool head in a crisis
- Entrepreneurial mindset and a willingness to get your hands dirty
- Competence in using Microsoft Office suite especially word, excel and PowerPoint
- Degree or equivalent academic qualifications
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Conversant in a UN official language other than English e.g. Spanish etc.
- Background in International Development and the Built environment
- Experience in international development or post-disaster relief/reconstruction work
- Knowledge of QSAND, BREEAM, planning, master planning, and/or community sustainability
- Wiliness to travel internationally
It is vital that you have the ability to build and nurture strong relationships with new and existing and drive fund raising activities.
What you will get / what are the perks of interning at this company?
BRE is made up of a range of individuals from different backgrounds all committed to driving forward advances and improvements in the built environment. We offer an exciting and intellectually challenging environment that brings together world renowned expertise, innovation and opportunities to make a difference.
- Opportunity to develop your skills in a range of areas and attend internal CPD and/or training courses
- Working with international stakeholders and aid agencies and construction experts
- Gain a greater understanding about work focused on encouraging sustainability in the built environment and post-disaster reconstruction
- Learning about BREEAM and its assessment methods
- Be part of BREs world leading building science centre! Our unique and exemplary work has attracted the attention of world leaders, the UK monarchy and key influencers in society: the UK Prime Minister and many of his cabinet, the Premier of China Mr Li-Keqiang, HRH Prince Charles and many more. Our science has been applied to some of the most outstanding and iconic buildings in the UK and Europe including the London 2012 Olympic stadia and Number 10 Downing Street.
- Explore the BRE’s Innovation Park at BRE’s head office site where innovative methods of construction and affordable building technology and sustainability are showcased
- On site sporting and social facilities including a football pitch, tennis courts and a small gym, and many out of hours social activities.
How to apply:
This opportunity starts in June 2017 for a minimum of 6 months 5 days a week. It may include international travel and a period of stay in a case study location. The position can be based at BRE’s offices near London in the UK but flexible working may be considered.
Applicants must have the existing right to work in the UK.
To apply, email a covering letter and CV, explaining why you feel you are suitable for this position and stating your availability to QSAND@bre.co.uk
Closing date: 5th June 2017